Questions frequently asked by our members and customers.
If you can’t find the answer to your question, just contact us.

Customer questions

Questions from members

Customer questions

I have booked a Clévacances rental online. Is my booking confirmed?

The booking is confirmed once the tenant has returned to the landlord a signed copy of the agreement together with the booking deposit (arrhes) or advance payment (acompte, maximum 25%) for the holiday before the date mentioned on Page 1 of the agreement. This means that the online payment of a booking deposit (or advance payment), if available, only counts as a pre-booking, enabling you to “pencil in” the dates, but does not amount to a confirmed booking in the legal sense.

What are the terms and conditions (payment, holiday insurance, cancellation, guarantee deposit, etc.)?

The terms and conditions valid for all Clévacances properties are laid out on Page 2 of rental agreements headed with our logo.

Can I stay in a Clévacances property with a pet?

You can, as long as the landlord of the accommodation agrees. Since 12 March 2012, French law has entitled landlords of seasonal rentals to refuse pets. To be sure that the Clévacances rental you choose does indeed accept pets, click on “Animals Welcome” in the advanced search option. A supplement may be charged. If so, the tariff must be stated on Page 1 of the rental agreement. Some landlords also have house rules about pets.

Do I have to pay a deposit? If so, how much?

On arrival, the tenant pays a security deposit (minimum 30%, maximum 50% of the total rent), in addition to the balance of the rent, intended to cover any costs for damage, loss or cleaning. The landlord is required to return this deposit to you within one month (15 days for rooms) of the end of your stay, after deducting any costs for damage or loss supported by invoices.

Do I have to pay a tourist tax?

That depends on the where you are staying. Some local authorities may ask holidaymakers to pay a tax to fund their expenditure on tourist facilities. The amount is decided by the local council. It varies from €0.20 to €1.50 per person per night, according to the type and quality of accommodation. The local town hall can provide details. The sum must be displayed in the accommodation and specified in the agreement and/or final invoice.

Do Clévacances landlords accept chèques-vacances?

Many Clévacances landlords belong to the French holiday voucher organisation (ANCV) and are allowed to accept payment in chèques-vacances. To be sure you book from one of them, click on “ANCV” in the advanced search option.

Must I have holiday insurance?

A Clévacances landlord is entitled to ask you for a certificate of extension of insurance cover (see below the extract from the Clévacances Terms and Conditions). You are responsible to the landlord for any damage you and your party may cause to the landlord’s property (building and furniture) during your stay, unless you can prove force majeure, structural defect or inadequate maintenance on the part of the landlord. This extension of cover is usually included in the civil liability section of your domestic insurance policy. For further information and to obtain a certificate, contact your insurance company. Extract from Clévacances Terms and Conditions Insurance. The Tenant must insure the premises rented. The Tenant must therefore check that his or her domestic insurance policy covers holiday accommodation. If it does not, the Tenant must apply to his or her insurance company for an extension of cover, or else take out a special “holiday” policy. An insurance certificate must be shown on arrival.

What do I do if I have to cancel at the last minute  Can I take out cancellation insurance ?

What do I do if I have to cancel at the last minute ? Can I take out an insurance policy ? Clévacances France offers a cancellation insurance, with the Pinkassur firm. When booking your stay, you can choose to take out an insurance policy. The cost is 4% of the rent. This insurance covers various situations. If you want to subscribe, please click on the button "Insurance" at the top of our website.

I’ve made a booking and now I can’t find the property on the website.

First check that you haven’t automatically filled in your holiday dates, since the property will not show because it is not available. If you still can’t find it, contact the local Clévacances agency for the property.

When must I pay the balance of the rental?

That depends how your landlord manages the property. If the landlord directly manages it : the balance must be paid on the day of your arrival after the joint inspection and inventory has been made. If it is an online payment,  the balance mist be paid one month at the latest before your arrival. If it is managed by a representative (booking service or estate agent): the balance must be paid one month at the latest before your arrival. Any charges not included in the rental must be paid at the end of your stay.

Are CAF vouchers accepted in payment?

In general, the French family benefit schemes (CAF) do honour holiday vouchers, because we are recognised by the Ministry of Tourism and are a 1901 Act non-profit organisation. However, it may be best to ask your local CAF to confirm that they do indeed recognise the Clévacances label and to explain how their vouchers work.

I need proof of stay for my French employer’s works council to cover the cost. What do I do?

Simply ask for one from the local Clévacances agency for the property where you stayed.

How do I make a complaint?

Write (by email or unregistered letter) to the local Clévacances agency for the property where you stayed, explaining your complaint, enclosing a photocopy of the rental agreement and the property description. You may also include supporting photos or other evidence you think will help. A Clévacances representative will contact you to provide answers and/or suggest mediation for an agreed settlement.

I made a reservation or request online, how do I find it?

When you make a reservation or request a rental on demand, an automatic email is sent. In this email you will find a link to access the reservation, this is the only way to access it.

Questions from members

How do I join the Clévacances network and have my property referenced on the website?

Contact the manager of the local Clévacances office that covers your rental property. They will help you put together your membership application and will set a date for the quality inspection. To find out which is your local Clévacances office, click on “Where to go".

How do I contact the local Clévacances office?

Select the département where your property is located under the "Where to go" heading. All the contact details are there.

I’ve lost my access codes for the members’ extranet. How can I find them?

Go to members’ area on this site from the home page. Click on “password forgotten”. Enter your email address as “identifier”. You will be sent an email by our server with your password.

How do I update the tariffs in my entry?

Go to members’ area from the home page. You can then edit the text in your entry as you wish.

How do I replace/add photos in my entry?

Go to members’ area from the home page, select “entry form”. You can then post new photos to show your property at its best.

How do I cancel my Clévacances membership?

A landlord who wishes to cancel their commitment to Clévacances must send a registered letter to their local Clévacances office. The office will acknowledge the membership cancellation in writing. The cancellation will take effect at the end of the subscription year, unless the landlord wishes otherwise. By that date, all the technical and marketing documents and signage in the landlord’s possession must be returned.

What grants are available for people setting up rental properties or bed & breakfasts?

Some French départements/regions make grants to tourist accommodation landlords to help fund the upgrading required to obtain the Clévacances quality label. Similarly, some improvements in the insulation or energy performance of your property are eligible for grants from local authorities or the environment agency ADEME. To find out more, contact your local Clévacances office.